Saturday 13 December 2014

Challenge #02- This Little Piggy Went to Market- Philippa's Quest.

Temperatures have plummeted here in the Gotham City, a light dusting of crystal white snow has covered the parks and avenues and revelry is peeking it's mischievous little head around every corner. There is no doubt about it- Christmas is in full swing in New York with fairy lights, tacky (in a good way obviously) decorations, silver firs and mulled wine adorning every inch of the city. What better way to spend a day than galavanting from stall to stall and feasting on festive foods at The Union Square Holiday Market.
I ate my way from start to finish as if I was in a food maze looking for the centre where I would find my reward. I tried a feta and olive pretzel but in a cruel twist (yes, this is a pretzel pun) it wasn't heated the entire way through (and I was kinda still hungry) so I continued my quest and tried my hand (and mouth) at a crabmeat empanada washed down with a (non alcoholic *sigh*) hot cider which was a tasty little number but something inside told me that if I continued on my pilgrimage my path ahead would be paved with roasted garlic. And lo and behold, I found a lovely little Persian stall selling the perfect treat for a cold winters day- SOUP! Chicken, lentil and roasted garlic soup to be precise- a fusion of flavours; a gastronomic gem; a cup of comfort from the land of the Persian empire.
It was piping hot, soothing, thick and gloupy (yes, that's a word),  nourishing and incredibly tasty. It warmed both the cockles of my heart and my numb fingers. On top of that, the man who served me (yes, the one who caught me taking a photo of the stall) was incredibly friendly and polite. Proof: he gladly topped up my roasted garlic when I asked him to. What a gentleman. I cannot stress enough how much I love garlic. I love the smell of wild garlic in woodlands. I am obsessed with garlicky cheeses. I get a kick out of cracking cloves apart and crushing them. I go absolutely nuts for roast garlic. I am a fiend for doubling, nay, tripling quantities of garlic in recipes. I am fascinated by its odd appearance. You know when people avoid eating garlic if they're going out somewhere? Yeah, I just don't get that. In fact, I have been known to profess my undying love for strangers if I so much as get a hint of the sweet smell of garlic in the air. True story. Forget mistletoe this Christmas (not that it ever works anyway) I am aaaaall about reelin' them in with garlic. I would insert some sort of pun here about garlic and g spot but that would be highly inappropriate. So yeah to sum up- I think garlic is ok.

Below is the photographic evidence to support the above statement as well as a snapshot of a resident squirrel at Union Square. I have also included a photo of myself and my friend Holly... on the subway...with a Christmas tree... at 4am cause tis the season to make jolly choices, right? (If you're reading this Mum, NO I was not in any way even slightly drunk. Nor do I associate with anyone who steals champagne...)  

I raise my metaphorical cup of soup to you lovely folk at this magical time of year. Warm wishes. Merry Christmas. Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment